Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Scarborough Fair

We bought tickets to Scarborough Fair in Waxahachie, TX for Mother's Day with Nana. It's a renaissance festival that they put on every Spring for about a month. It is SO cool! Every one dresses up all renaissance-y, or pirate-y, if you go on "pirate weekend" (which we did unknowingly) and talks funny. They are also very bold in what they say to you, especially if you are pregnant. In the first 5 minutes I was accused of stealing melons by one, and then told I "needed" a pretzel by another, who said my mission in life is one of two things, being grumpy or hungry, and I didn't look grumpy. It was mostly comments about my cute little girls after that. :)

Here they are picking out their extremely expensive face paint. I managed to get Addison to pick something from the $5 section but she was browsing in the $10 section... Avery did not get paint this year. 




I think the best part was all the silver glitter that was sprinkled on her face after her face paint.





Here we were listening to some of the music. They have shows and music all day long. This one was bagpipes and drums.



Loving her freedom to roam the streets.



Then she got "caught"... haha jk



Her pirate's booty that she got from some guy dressed like a priest (I think). It was all very "normal" for the day. People came up and gave the girls gold coins, rings, bracelets, compliments. Pretty sure Addison was in heaven.



We watched part of the turtle races which turned out to be more of a one-man show. This old guy thought he was very entertaining... you can see how entertaining he really was by their faces. When he finally quit talking he let the turtles loose for a 5 second turtle race. Glad we didn't pay extra money for that show.



Turtle man.







Duck game. Addie found 5 ducks with stars on the bottom. It's not hard to do when the ducks are turned upside down.



With her loot. She named her unicorn Tera.



This creepy tree guy scared me so bad! I didn't see him until I was right next to him. CREEPY.



This was a highlight of the day for sure. Addie got to ride a camel and an elephant for her first time. She looked like an Indian princess in her get up.




Avery got an "ela" ride too but she was not quite as fond of it as Addison was.



Jake with his turkey leg. Sorry babe... :)



Me with my turkey wrap the size of my head. Pretty sure there was no turkey in it and a whole pound of cheese. That's what you get when 14 year old boys work in food establishments. Gross. Should have known better.



Also a highlight of the day, the fairy tea party. We waited around all day for this. Addie got sprinkled with fairy dust. Avery didn't want to. Again, I'm not surprised.





The fairy told stories for a good hour and Addison was the last kid there. She would have sat there all day for tea, cookies and stories.





Such a fun and memorable day! Happy Mother's Day to all!


3 comments:

April :) said...

Wow! That looks like fun...riding an elephant (how awesome)!!! They are such cute girls!!

Cyndi Davis said...

Great Mother's Day idea! I love that Addie could go dressed as a princess. Such beautiful girls (all 4 of you)!

Stephanie, Daneel, Avalon & Julie said...

Looks like such a fun time! We'll have to try it out some year.
Cute pictures :)